1929 Kreutzer K5 Trimotor Air Coach
s/n 102  N612A
$795,000
                        

Sales of Quality, Historic, Vintage and Warbird aircraft

Only One Flying In The World

​SPECIFICATIONS

1929 Kreutzer K5 Trimotor Air Coach

s/n 102  N612A

$795,000

Airframe:  

820 hrs TTSN

20  Hrs Since Restoration

Engine:

Kinner K5 (100 hp)

20 hrs SMOH

The good looking Kreutzer Air Coach K-5 was a "baby tri-motor" high wing monoplane that was powered with 3 five cylinder Kinner K5 engines of 100 hp each. The was ample room and good comfort for six in a spacious and well appointed cabin, offering heat and ventilation, the safety of shatter-proof glass, with a promise for an extra margin of safety and performance provided by three 100 hp engines. It was designed for smaller airlines operating over rugged and desolate country. The Air Coach was used initially by airlines in Arizona and Louisiana. Production of the Air Coach was suspended in the early 1930's.  This is the only surviving example of the Kreutzer Air Coach with an incredible pioneering history. The aircraft was recovered in Mexico over eight years ago by between 22-­25 men using 25 pack animals and they hacked a road through the jungle to get the aircraft out.

Treasure from the Sierra's Saga of the Lost Kreutzer Air Coach

 

Some years ago, when the late Doug Rhinehart spun his fascinating flying stories at various fly-ins, we often talked of tri-motors, large and small. One of his projects was to climb Mt. Taylor near Albuquerque, New Mexico, to salvage the remains of a Ford Tri-Motor that crashed there in the 1930s. Another story revolved around a small, possibly a Bach Tri-Motor, that he was sure still existed somewhere in northern Mexico. Doug's tragic accident prevented any further efforts along such lines, but a small Tri-Motor did come to light near Casa Grande (old Mexico) in northern Mexico. This aircraft, originally a S/N 102, NC-612, was the second Kreutzer Air Coach built by the Joseph Kreutzer in Venice, California. It was first a K-2 model, modified to a K-3, and finally as a K-5 with three Kinner 100 h.p. K-5 engines. It was once reported to be called Star of the South and sold in Mexico in 1931 to the mining company, La Frizco, for its subsidiary the La Compania Aeronuticia De La Sierra S.A.. This company took the Kreutzer to South America in 1935, returning it a year later to Mexico. It was registered XB-AHO and was flown on routes from Parral to Chichuaha, Guadalupe, Caluo, and Batopilas. The Kreutzer was brought to Mexico by Harold Bromley (possibly Bromley), and was flown in Mexico by Leopoldo "Leo" Lopez Tarango. The Kreutzer carried merchandise and supplies to the mines and flew out ore concentrates. It was sold in 1939 to Heimpel Investment Company, owned by Gerardo Heimpel. The pilot at that time was Desiderio "Chalelo" Varela. It’s route was Chichuaha to Huizopa, San Pedro, Madera, and the U.S.A.

 

In 1940, it suffered a ground loop at the Huizopa airstrip, at some 7,000 feet elevation, damaging the left wing, the center prop, and center engine crankshaft. Parts were ordered in January of 1941 from the Airplane Parts and Supply Company of Glendale, California. Work was suspended when the owner, Gerardo Heimpel, became a P.O.W. due to his German nationality. The Kreutzer remained in its hangar at Huizopa until 1980.

 

At this point in time Captain, aviator pilot, and mechanic of aviation, Hernando Garcia Contreas, became the new owner. His efforts to acquire and salvage the Kreutzer is a story of persistence and ingenuity. His foresight in saving the Kreutzer will certainly add to the historical dimensions of the antique airplane movement.

 

On May 8, 1980, he flew to Huizopa Mineral at 7,000 feet elevation in the rugged Tarahumera Sierras, and inspected the Kreutzer for the first time. On September 7, 1980, he purchased the Kreutzer from the Heimpel family. From periods of November 9th to December 20th, 1980, he visited Huizopa and started planning his recovery of the Kreutzer. At this date, snow and strong winds defeat any further action.

 

From May 13th to July 15th, 1981, a work party of 25 men and 20 animals open up 8 kilometers of road, and the engines, gas tanks, oil tanks, tail wheel, controls, and other items are taken down the mountain. The recovery was then suspended due to torrential rains. From November 17th to December 15th, 1981, again, 22 people and 19 animals are hired to move more of the aircraft. The fuselage is moved 3 kilometers, and again the snows halt the project.

 

From November 18th, 1982, to January 16th, 1983, with 34 persons and 25 animals, the recovery is completed and after breaking through the jungle paths with machetes from El Caracol to El Paraiso, and on through El Saucito, Arroyo Del Agua, Las Cachanas, Yepachi, Tomochi, finally to Casa Grande (old Mexico). The preliminary rebuilt was done at Casa Grande, and in early 1986, the Kreutzer Tri-Motor was hauled to Santa Theresa, New Mexico Airport, west of El Paso, in the U.S., where was completed and prepared for its first flight in 46 years.

 

We have been in regular contact with Arturo Acosta a Mexican National of Chichuaha, Mexico, who have been the representative of the owners. The great problems that this group overcame in recovering and restoring this rare airplane has been most admirable. It is for sale and can be inspected at the Santa Theresa Airport.  It is believed that 14 Kreutzers were built, plus possibly 8 or 10 subsequent Air Transport Company versions built in the mid 1930s at Glendale, California.

 

This type of Tri-Motor is not well known in the U.S., as only one airline, to our knowledge, utilized the type, this being Wedell-Williams Air Service in Patterson, Louisiana. Most of those built went to Central and South America, with two possibly going to Africa.

 

It is our hope that this rare machine will find a home in the U.S., and it will be seen on the fly­ing circuit, where it will finally achieve recognition and fame for its pioneering work in Mexico. Think of it! Regular operations for years in and out of in airfield at 7,000 feet elevation with three Kinner K-5 are carrying gold ore.

The sole survivor N612A was originally a K-2, but was upgraded to K-3 and then to K-5 standard. It was sold to Mexico in 1931 as XB-AHO and was flown by La Compania Aeronautica De La Sierra on routes from Parral to local silver and other mining operations in inaccessible territory. It carried equipment and personnel to the mines and valuable ores on the return journey. It was sold in 1939 for operations from Chihuahua. After becoming derelict, it was recovered using pack animals and is now maintained airworthy by the private Golden Wings Air Museum near Minneapolis Minnesota.

​SPECIFICATIONS SUBJECT TO VERIFICATION UPON INSPECTION

 

 

Contact Us
Simon Brown - Sales
+1 800 210 1951 ext. 101
John Rayner - Sales
+1 800 210 1951 ext. 102
Caisie Shields - Accounting
+1 800-210-1951 ext. 103
Our Inventory
  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • YouTube Social  Icon
  • LinkedIn Social Icon
Call us toll free: +1800 210 1951

Subscribe for updates

Designed by Bella.Copyz

Info

 THE WORLD'S PREMIER WARBIRD AND CLASSIC AIRCRAFT BROKER | Copyright 2009 - 2019